Honors in Art Practice
The Department of Art & Art History honors program is open to Art Practice Majors.
The purpose of the honors thesis exhibition is to extend and deepen artwork students have done in Art Practice classes. The thesis exhibition is not an exploration of an area that the student has never studied before. The topic should have focus and clear parameters. It is expected that students have a solid background in their field of study prior to applying to the honors program. Exposure to a wide range of courses and familiarity with faculty will benefit you in this process.
Director of Honors Program: Jonathan Calm
- Discuss their project and receive approval from a faculty member as thesis advisor
- Complete at least five Art Practice courses at Stanford by the end of their junior year. Four must be completed by the end of winter quarter junior year
- Submit an AP Honors Intent Form with a faculty advisor’s signature by March 1
- Work with the faculty advisor and graduate mentor to develop a proposal
- Submit the artwork samples, artwork description, honors thesis exhibition project proposal, and proposed study plan to the Student Services Specialist by Monday April 17th
Honors Program Requirements
- Throughout their senior year, students will register for 6 units of ARTSTUDI 297 Honors Thesis Exhibition and 4 units of ARTSTUDI 297S AP HONORS SEMINAR, for a total of 10 units. Enroll in 2 units of ARTSTUDI 297 and 1-2 units of ARTSTUDI 297S each quarter (Autumn, Winter, and Spring). Up to 4 units may count towards one of the six upper level courses required for the major.
- Solo exhibition on campus with accompanying thesis paper, 3-5 pages in length
- Participation in Open Studios every quarter while in the Honors Program
- Apply for a grant or exhibition outside of Stanford, with your advisor's guidance
- Attend Art Practice Visiting Lecture Series events
Intent Form Due
Honors Thesis Exhibition Proposal, Artwork, and Study Plan Due
*See Honors Applying Guidelines above for more information
Student notified of acceptance into the Honors Program
Meet with Director of the Art Practice Honors Program and thesis advisor to discuss thesis and summer research plans